Thursday, December 27, 2012

“Dregs” by César Vallejo

 

It rains this afternoon, as never before;
and I have no zest for life, heart.

The afternoon is sweet. Why should it be not?
Dressed in grace and sorrow; dressed womanly.

It rains in Lima this afternoon. And I remember the
cruel caverns of my ingratitude;
my block of ice on her poppy,
stronger than her "Don’t be like that!"

My violent black flowers, and the barbaric
huge stone thrown, and the glacial distance.
And the silence of her dignity will put
with burning holy oils an end to all.

So this afternoon, as never before, I will go
with this owl, with this heart.

And other women passing by, and seeing me so sad,
they take a dash of you
in the abrupt crease of my deep remorse.

It rains this afternoon, it rains a lot. And
I have no zest for life, heart.


1 comment:

  1. great poem. I don't know what finessing was needed from the spanish but it reads wonderfully. dig it. a good translation is a gift to everyone. wish you the best, aksania

    ReplyDelete