Friday, December 28, 2012

"You want me white" by Alfonsina Storni


You want me to be alb,
made out of foams,
made out of nacre.
You want me to be a lily
over them all, caste.
Of faint perfume.
Corolla closed

Not one filtered
moonbeam should find me.
Not a daisy
should call me her sister.
You want me like snow,
you want me white,
you want me alb.

You, who had all
the cups at hand,
of fruits and honeys,
the purple lips.
You, who at the banquet
covered in tendrils
left the flesh,
celebrating Bacchus.
You, who in the black
gardens of deception
dressed in red
ran towards havoc.

You, who preserves
his skeleton intact
I do not know yet
through what kind of miracles,
You purport me white
(God forgive you),
You purport me caste
(God forgive you),
You purport me alb!

Flee to the woods,
go to the mountain;
wipe your mouth;
live in the cabins;
touch with your hands
the wet dirt;
feed the body
with bitter root;
drink of the rocks;
sleep on frost;
renew the tissues
with nitre and water;
talk to the birds
and raise at dawn.
And when your flesh
has been turned,
and you have put 
your soul into it,
which was left tangled
through the bedrooms,
then, good man,
pretend me white
pretend me like snow,
pretend me caste.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment